Monday, February 2, 2009

Babies...I love them.

I know I love babies and everything about them. I can clean spit up off a baby all day long and not get grossed out. It doesn't bother me. To me, there is nothing gross about babies. Today, this was reiterated to me. I have been teaching a clinical on one of the adult units at Shannon. It's interesting to me, but my heart does not belong to these patients. I love the students and I love teaching, but I don't love adult care. I think that God is using this as a teaching experience for me as well. He is teaching me that even though it's not my "cup of tea," it's my job to teach the students to give exceptional care to all patients.

Today, I and another student tried to move a patient from his bed to his wheelchair. Easier said than done. Babies, you just pick them up and take them where they need to go. This man, he couldn't move or help. I have never been good at this, but usually, I get it done. Today, I failed. Somehow, the patient got his arms around me in a bear hug and I couldn't move. I was at the mercy of the other student and where the patient decided to go. The patient decided to not move. I yelled out the door to one of my students but he didn't hear. Then finally, another student came in. He must have heard my call for help. The student looked at me like, "How did you get there?" He moved the patient and I was freed, no one was hurt. I was slighly embarrassed, but what's new in my life? It was rather amusing.

No comments: